Monday, October 6, 2008

Blue Monday

The axe fell at work today. This is what I can only describe as a pisser. A dirty rotten shame. Seven good men were laid off today.
One of these men commuted by bicycle every day this year...and the winter months he was working the night shift. Do you know what the streets of Duluth are like at 1:am during a snowstorm? This is not a short commute either...guessing 4 to 5 miles...and on a fixed gear living on the hillside of Duluth. I have made several rides with this guy and if he wanted...he would get some podium time on the racing scene. We had our last lunch together today...at work at least.
I will honestly say that there was NOT ONE bad guy in the bunch. They are all very good workers. Which brings me to this unpublished poem by Dr. Suess.

I Love My Job!
I love my job, I love my pay!
I love it more and more each day.
I love my boss, he is the best!
I love his boss and all the rest.
I love my office and its location, I hate to have to go on vacation.
I love my furniture, drab and grey, and piles of paper that grow each day!
I think my job is really swell, there's nothing else I love so well.
I love to work among my peers, I love their leers, and jeers, and sneers.
I love my computer and its software;
I hug it often though it won't care. I love each program and every file.
I'd love them more if they worked a while.
I'm happy to be here. I am. I am.
I'm the happiest slave of the firm, I am.
I love this work, I love these chores.
I love the meetings with deadly bores.
I love my job - I'll say it again- I even love those friendly men.
Those friendly men who've come today,
In clean white coats to take me away!!!

1 comment:

  1. two friday's ago my wife came home and told me that she was getting laid off on december 31st... she has to work until then to receive her severance paycheck... working way too hard for someone who just canned her ass

    ReplyDelete