Tuesday, October 18, 2011

It's Still Good Riding

 This morning's weather was 38F and light rain, which made for a nice quiet ride on the back roads.  I was thinking, which is always enhanced while bicycle riding, that it will soon be time to get the studded tires off the wall and mounted up.   

 AND...that patch of water near the island in the above picture will be dotted with several ice shacks.
 If there is one thing this retirement thing has brought to the forefront for me, it is that time just flies.  I have been retired five and a half months and it seriously does not seem like five days.  There were a lot of things I had good intentions of doing this summer, didn't get them in and whether I like it or not, summer is history.  That's alright though, because there are things I want to do this winter too.  We will see how that goes. 

 One good thing this summer brought was some relief from a drought that has plagued us these last few years...but it is only a start.  This little lake is one of many in our area.  We call them pothole's around this neck of the woods.   There was not much water left in here last year, and still isn't for that matter, but it is making a comeback.
 
I bought these last February for cold weather riding.  I used them some last year and this morning was the first time for this season.  They are the Sidi Diablo's and they seem to work well for me.  Last year I tested them to only 10F, but I am sure they will go lower.  In the morning rain and 38F, my feet were dry and toasty.

 
Get outdoors and have some Fun!!!

7 comments:

  1. What kills many new retirees is the lack of structure in their procrastination. Having retired twice, once for practice and once for real, and having lived my life as if I were retired I feel qualified to recommend this little article on procrastination.
    http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/

    Don't delay procrastinate today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the differences with retirement. I am frustrated with myself not getting enough done. Being retired requires a new way of organizing your time. A job forced you to be at a certain place at a certain time for 8 hours. I need to create some schedule to get the things done. But I think after 40 years of working a little adjustment time is to be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R2Love - I added your blog to my "Reading List" so as to be sure to follow it. Let us know the next time you're in Hayward with your bike (or otherwise) and maybe we can get together for a ride, a coffee, a beer...
    Question for you - how can I add the blogs I'm following in a list on the home page of my blog, like you've done on the right side of yours? And I noticed the list you have automatically updates when someone does a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old fool...Thanks for the bit of advice. I like the theory of excellent self-deceptive skills. I think I have already made progress in that area of Structured Procrastination.

    None...For me, it seems like there is always something going on. I have heard people say, "I don't know how I had time to work." I am beginning to understand.

    The Bike Barb...Thanks for adding me to your list. Getting together for a ride sounds like great fun. I don't know if you are familiar with the Map My Ride website, but they have ride routes listed and there are several for the Hayward area. This is the address http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/

    I think this will get you to the area you need to go to add the blog list. After signed in, click on
    Design
    Add a gadget
    Scroll down to Blog List
    Add a blog to your list
    Add address
    Save/Save

    If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nephew in Marquette is ready for snow, but I'm not sure I am yet.

    It is good that you have taken care of yourself to be able to ride after you've retired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks much for the blog list instructions. It worked! Yes, we are familiar with Map My Ride but haven't checked it out yet for the Hayward area but will do so. When we first arrived, we picked up a bicycle map with recommended road rides in Sawyer and adjoining counties. It includes 18 rides that vary in length and we've done only a portion of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's hope this keeps up, but being on the shelf for a couple of weeks has got me thinking "bring on winter". Skis, snow shoes, and winter biking are on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete