Saturday, December 6, 2014

EXCELLENT it is!

 This will be a quick little post just to say...see I am still around. I will load a YouTube video to the end of this post of some riding and a small walk around of the fixed gear.

 I hate to say this, but it has been two weeks since the last ride. Every year I quit riding during daylight hours of our WI rifle Whitetail deer hunting season.  I have in the past rode during the safety of darkness during the season, but this year I did not. AND...that sucks to be off the bike that long. 

The temp was near 30°F today when I left the house, but it was cooling off nice when I returned home. Because of the roads I rode today, I was on the studded up fixie gear. I will say this much, a person could not ask for a better day in December to be riding. EXCELLENT it is!!



I had started the video above to try to shed some light on the fixed gear. I see now I did a poor job at explaining it.  I know some who read this are not aware of these marvelous machines. I put miles on this unit,,,lots of miles.  There was a time was this was my only winter ride.  

4 comments:

  1. Do you ride the roads year 'round? Studded tires? Thanks for writing this post and sending some inspiration my way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for reading/ watching Andrea! I use the studded tires only during the winter. I have a set of cross tires that I mount up for summer. I have had this bicycle for many years. I bought it just for the purpose of riding winters, but found out I liked the simplicity of fixed gear riding, so it gets used a lot. But, winter time road riding is where this bike shines. These are the tires I am using...Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 Studded Tire - 700 x 40. My first winter ride was an old mountain bike that I put on some cheapo studded tires on and that worked fine too. It was just the wear and tear on the components...free hub, derailleurs, cables...that pushed me to the fixed gear. Glad I did!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pics and video. We have a Rocky Mountain fat-tire bike for sale in Omaha which makes me think of you from time to time. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jeff! Fat-tires are fun, especially if you have access to some rut trails and stuff like that. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete