Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Great Gravel day!!

 I rode one of my favorite rides today...plus a little extra.  It was 40 plus miles of gravel, plus a little tiny bit of blacktop.

 Some sand

 Some two rut roads.  Say, why is it that a person can ride miles keeping the tires in a narrow tire track, or ride a fog line on the highway, but yet have second thoughts about riding a skinny bridge on a single track?

 Rode some nice two track today also.

 This was the lunch spot today.  Miles from nowhere. The metal object in the background that I used as a chair/table is what makes the body of water.   It contains a small dam.  They lift the lid to put in or take out small beams that hold the water back to control and attain the level they desire.  A level most likely set by the Department of Natural Resources.
   
 Bounty Road

 Oscar was a bear hound that the owners used for chasing and treeing Black Bear for hunting purposes.  One bear took a stand so here lies Oscar.

 I rode by here yesterday and the grader was sitting here.  Today when I went by it was gone and a pickup truck was sitting there.

 If I wanted to stay on the gravel I would be riding some freshly graded road.

 I figured I knew where they were using the grader today and had prepared myself mentally for such a thing before I arrived at the freshly graded road.  Yep, I was right.  After 30 miles I now faced 5 miles of soft stuff...for now!  

 Back on the regular gravel.

 Oooops...I didn't expect this though.  It wasn't bad though as it didn't last long.

Mile 36 left my Camelbak empty with 5 more miles to go.  Ever notice how light they are when you start sucking air through the hose.  It's like an instant revelation that it's light.  It's not the first time.  I don't notice it getting light until IT IS. It suddenly becomes a Camelbak Lite!!

Lets get outdoors and have some fun!!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day. Nice weather,good riding,solitude. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hypothetically, I love riding gravel. In actuality, seeing what's surrounding the gravel is what I really love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riding through gravel is one of the most challenging rides. You can skid, slip or thud. It takes a technical know how on how to negotiate this terrain. I crash many times before on gravel. Do you experience going down on gravel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went Geocaching today I could not find the what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete