Saturday, January 5, 2013

Yessss!!


First of all, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I had been riding 5 or 6 days a week and some of those rides were 3 hour rides.   Then in a bit of bad news I was forced off the bike for 15 days...bummer.  I am back riding for now and got out late this afternoon on the fixie for a ride.  The temperature was nice for this time of year at about 25°F.  I feel good to have the clothing nailed down for temperatures around that mark.   I wish I could put into words how nice it was to get back on the bike today.  Unbelievable.  It reminds me of the old absence makes the heart grow fonder saying. 


The back roads this year have been covered with ice because of a stretch of unseasonably warm weather with freezing rain, which created a fair amount of ruts.  Ice ruts.  When I bought the studded tires a few years ago, I went with the Nokian Hakkapelitta 240.  I bought this model because the studs wrap around the tire and when the road are ice covered with ruts, the studs on the side are nice to have.  Hopefully tomorrow will have me on the snow bike again. hehehe        

Lets get outdoors and have some fun!!

Thanks for reading and the comments!

8 comments:

  1. I admire you riding in the snow and ice...something I can't do. Mind you if we had that sort of weather for long periods I would have to get studded tyres etc just to experience the fun..

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that if you had winter weather there, you would be riding it.

      Delete
  2. It looks like fun, though I prefer dry pavement and warm weather. Spring is right around the corner, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, winter is going by fast. That is a good thing in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are back on the bike.

    I've got some Nokians on my bike right now, but I forget the model. Just two rows of studs.

    But the best thing I like about studded tires is they take away my excuse for not riding outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you there. The studs have always given me the choice to keep off the trainer. I am not a big fan of that trainer thing-a-ma-jig.

      Delete
  4. I for one would like to know what the system you have put together to stay warm consists of...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been riding a lot this winter. In my next post I will lay out the clothing I wear. I have wore the same stuff for a few years.

      Delete