Monday, February 8, 2010

A Superior Ski

Saturday morning I took my dad to a vintage snowmobile show, so ended up getting a late start for my plans of the day.  I had wanted to ski the outer loop of the Superior Forest Ski Trail.  I knew when I left the house to drive up there, it would be close for me to complete the loop before darkness set in...after thought, should have brought along headlight.  Actually, I knew before we went to the show it would be close, but I also knew Dad would enjoy it, and that was much more important than skiing.  We had a good time. 
The trail head I started from shares the parking lot with The  Millennium Trail on 28th street in Superior WI.  The Millennium allows ATV's and snowmobiles.  The ski trail also has short sections on the Millennium.

I will say that the trail is very scenic...now for the bad.  It was poorly marked and some sections were not groomed for classical skiing.  If I had not spent so much time trying to figure out where I was at and which way to turn, I may have had the time to complete my goal.  That, and as I am standing at an intersection on the trail with map in hand, a very wise man who once said "Well, the first thing one needs to do is send in the money, and then, you are in" in regards to doing the Birkie stopped.  He showed me where I was on the map and we shot the breeze for a while.  As far as the grooming is concerned, it was perfect for skating and most everybody there was skating.  I only saw one other person doing the classical. 

The trails near the trail head were groomed well for classical style, but the farther one went from the trail head..... 

All told, I did get all but the bottom loop in for a total of a little over 10 miles of classical skiing.  I will try to keep track of the tracking conditions and make another attempt of the outer most loop.  As I was driving home watching it get dark, I was thinking I could have had the time, that is if I didn't get lost.  I now know where to go next time...I think.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great trail. I've only been to Superior a couple times, beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete