Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Tandem Spoke


The temperatures in our area reached new heights for this year...+63.8 F.  Janice and I had gotten the road tandem ready Saturday, so with today's nice temps, it was calling our name.  We packed stuff for a picnic and set off on a 30 mile ride.
After spending the winter riding alone on the fixed gear, the tandem felt ultra fast.


At about a mile and a half into the ride, we heard a ping.  I asked Janice if she had heard it and she had.  There is still a lot of sand on the roads and she suggested maybe a rock, to which I replied, that or a broken spoke.  It wasn't making any noise, so we contined on for another 3 miles before we stopped.  This is one time I wish I was wrong, but it turned out it was a broken spoke.
We were not going to be cheated out of our little picnic, so we sat down right there and had a snack in the warmth of the sun.
It turned out that because of the broken spoke, we had only got in 10.5 miles on the tandem, so I headed out alone for another 20+ miles. 

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the spoke. Sounds like you were able to make the best of the warm temps anyway.

    ReplyDelete